From OpenwaterpediaWaikiki Roughwater Swim Committee, Inc. and race director for the Waikiki Roughwater Swim, one of the world's greatest open water swimming events annually listed in the World's Top 100 Open Water Swims list and America's Top 50 Open Water Swims.
Hedlund is also president of Kaico Sports and the associate director for the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation, and the former athletics director at Chaminade University of Honolulu and a board member of Swim With Mike. She is also one of the race directors on the 2014-2015 World Open Water Swimming Series.
Hedlund earned her master’s degree in physical education and sports management from California State University, Fullerton in 1986, and her bachelor’s degree in physical education and recreation from University of Southern California, officially begins her position on Aug. 21.
Coaching, Teaching and Administration
Hedlund has served as executive director for the Long Beach Aquatics Festival and as director of special projects for the Big West Conference. From 1990 to 2000, she served as assistant director of athletics for the University of Hawaii at Manoa and from 1983 to 1990, as associate director of athletics and senior woman administrator at University of California, Irvine.
Hedlund also served as head coach for women’s swimming at the University of California, Irvine and assistant coach for women’s swimming at USC. She has more than 20 years of experience teaching primarily at the college level. Hedlund swam four years for USC, played water polo, paddled outrigger canoes and continues to swim at the master’s level. She is also director for Swim with Mike – Hawaii – Raising Funds for the Physically Challenged Athletes Scholarship Fund.
Hedlund is married to Gary Wible and is a resident of Long Beach, California.
2014-2015 World Open Water Swimming Series Events
1. aQuellé Midmar Mile in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa in February. Race director Wayne Riddin
2. Miami Mile in Miami, Florida, U.S.A. in April. Race director Jonathan Strauss
3. El Cruce in Cancún, Mexico in May. Race director Rafael Hernández
4. Jax Coco Shek O Challenge in Hong Kong in July. Race director Doug Woodring
5. Henley Mile in Henley-on-the-Thames, United Kingdom in July. Race director Tom Kean
6. Hellespont and Dardanelles Swim in Turkey in August. Race director Simon Murie
7. Aichi Crossing in Nagoya, Japan in August. Race director Yutaka Shinozaki
8. BCT Gdynia Marathon – Open Race in Gdynia, Poland in August. Race director Tomasz Pąchalski
9. Waikiki Roughwater Swim in Oahu, Hawaii in September. Race director Kaia Hedlund
10. Swim The Island in Italy in October. Race director Matteo Testa
11. The Five in Hong Kong in October. Race director Doug Woodring
12. King and Queen of the Sea in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil in December. Race director Pedro Rego Monteiro
13. Stroke for Egypt in the Red Sea, Egypt in December. Race coordinator Mohamed Marouf
- Swim with Mike website
- Waikiki Roughwater Swim Website
- A WSC T-shirt Contest In Hawaii
- You Are An Old-time Swimmer If...
- Kaiwi Channel Swim 2.0, Insanely Interesting
- 2014 Waikiki Roughwater Swim T-Shirt Design Contest
- Six And More...Or Fewer
- What's Going Through Your Head In The Open Water
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Hong Kong Takes Centre Stage For First New F1 Series