Joseph Carlos Munatones (born 25 September 1935 in Los Angeles, California) is a retired school teacher with the Los Angeles Unified School District and the former coach and trainer of his son Steven Munatones during his professional marathon swimming career and of his grandson Skyler Munatones in the sport of water polo.
Marathon Swimming escorts
Munatones escorted and guided his son on a variety of marine vessels in all kinds of conditions during the following marathon swims:
- 22.5-mile circumnavigation around Atlantic City's Absecon Island in New Jersey
- 32 km in the Traversée internationale du lac St-Jean in Quebec, Canada
- 34 km across Lac Memphrémagog from Newport, Vermont, U.S.A. to Magog, Quebec, Canada in the Traversée Internationale du lac Memphrémagog
- 24 miles around the tip of Baja California to Cabo San Lucas in Mexico
- 58 km of rough seas in the first two-way crossing of the Tsugaru Channel between Honshu and Hokkaido in Japan
- 42 km across Lake Biwa in an unprecedented swim across the largest lake in Japan near Kyoto
- 18-mile circumnavigation around Yonaguni Island between Okinawa and Taiwan where he stood aboard the escort boat spotting hundreds of hammerhead sharks
- 28 miles when he guided him between sharks, sea snakes and venomous jellyfish between Ishigaki Island, Iriomote Island and Tatetomi Island in Okinawa, Japan
- 58-mile triathlon across and between the Five Lakes of Mount Fuji including crossings of Lake Kawaguchi (河口湖), Lake Motosu (本栖湖), Lake Sai (西湖), Lake Shoji (精進湖) and Lake Yamanaka (山中湖).