From OpenwaterpediaHonour Swimmer in the International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame and inducted in the International Swimming Hall of Fame in 2014 as an Honor Open Water Swimmer. He joined his father Ted Erikson in the International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame who was also inducted as an Honour Swimmer in the International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame.
Erikson swam the English Channel from France to England in 1969 as the youngest swimmer and did a two-way crossing in 1979 with his first leg as the fastest crossing of the year. He later did two English-to-France crossings in 1980 and became the first person to do a three-way crossing in 1981 with a historic 38 hour 27 minute effort; he, Alison Streeter and Philip Rush remain the only swimmers to complete a 3-way English Channel crossing. He completed a total of 8 English Channel crossing.
Pro Marathon Swims
Erikson also did many professional marathon swims in Guayamas, Mexico, Argentina and Canada including 5 Traversée Internationale du lac St-Jean, 4 Traversees, 3 24 Heures La Tuque and Chibougamau, Hamilton, Pasbebiac and others.
He is also a member of the 24-hour club for swimming 36.75 miles (59 km) in Lake Michigan from Michigan City to Chicago, Illinois in 1971 in 24 hours 30 minutes.
- International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame website
- Traversee internationale du lac St-Jean website
- Open Water Swimming website
- Updated 24-Hour Club
- Jon Erikson's Thoughts 3 Decades Later On The 3-way
- 24-hour Club…Swimming All Day And Night
- ISHOF Honor Bestowed On Sandra Bucha
- ISHOF Honor Bestowed On Jon Erikson
- Judith van Berkel-de Njis Elected To Swimming Hall Of Fame
- Dale Petranech Voted In Internat'l Swimming Hall Of Fame
- Claudio Plit Voted In International Swimming Hall Of Fame
- David Yudovin Voted In International Swimming Hall Of Fame
- International Swimming Hall Of Fame Open Water Greats
- Mercedes Gleitze Honoured By Swimming Hall Of Fame
- George Young Voted In International Swimming Hall Of Fame
- St. Ninian's Bay To Host International Swim Celebration
- Mercedes Gleitze To Be Honored In Scotland
- The Turbulent Traversée, Jan Van Scheijndel In Lac St-Jean