From OpenwaterpediaJohn Caughlin is an open water swimmer who had a terrible injury at the 2011 Maui Channel Swim where he lost a portion of his right arm and fingers of his left hand.
 Board Short Mile
Board Short Mile is a charity ocean swim in Hermosa Beach, California that supports the Challenged Athletes Foundation. The non-competitive swim was inspired by Caughlin and organized by California watermen George Hicks and Tom Hoffman.
Participants raised money on behalf of the Challenged Athletes Foundation on the 15 September 2012. Participants registered and participated from anywhere in the world. Swimmers can do their mile swim at their local open water swimming spot and fund raise through the Challenged Athlete Foundation website for the Board Short Mile event. Virtual participants also received their Board shorts to wear during the event.
- John Caughlin Update
- In the Blink of an Eye
- John Caughlin Makes Surprise Swim At Board Short Mile
- When Open Water Swimmers And Boaters Collide
- Open Water Swimming Accidents
- Recreational Vessel Propellers In The Open Water
- When Open Water Swimmers And Boats Intersect
- In A Blink Of An Eye - Accident Update In Maui
- Propping Up Safety Standards In Open Water