Expect The Unexpected
From Openwaterpediaopen water swimming. It is an understanding, appreciation and experience among open water swimmers that the elements (e.g., wind, waves, currents, tides, marine life, water temperature, rain, lightening or fog), course (e.g., turn buoy placement, course layout, feeding station, start, finish structure, boating traffic, shoreline distance, official boat or kayak placement, escort boat fumes, mechanical boat failure), competition (pacing and positioning relative to other male, female and/or wetsuited swimmers or division separation) and one's own physical conditions (due to seasickness, lack of hydration or ill feeling to due food or drink mixtures, stamina or strength) can present open water swimmers with unplanned surprises and unexpected circumstances during an open water swimming competition, solo swim or relay that requires swimmers, coaches, pilots, support crew, safety personnel and officials to adapt and accommodate to the situation.
The swimmers expect the unexpected after the race director told them of the winds and rain that will hit the shoreline tomorrow.
Example of Expect The Unexpected
Most fans did not expect Maarten van der Weijden to win the gold medal at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games or Hungary's Eva Risztov to win the gold medal at the 2012 London Olympic Games in the Olympic 10K Marathon Swim.
- Close Calls In Open Water Swimming
- Expect The Unexpected - Penny Palfrey Pulled
- Open Water Swimming
- Expect The Unexpected - The Open Water Hero
- Expect The Unexpected In The Open Water
- Expect The Unexpected In Unexpecting Places
- Richard Weinberger Expects The Unexpected
- Can Katie Ledecky Happen In The Olympic Marathon Swim?
- Records In Catalina Channel vs. English Channel
- Become An Octopus When Meeting A Black Swan
- Expect The Unexpected With Predictable Unpredictability
- Clearly Seeing In The Open Water
- Open Water Swimmers Have The Right Stuff
- Sayings From The Open Water Swimming World*
- A Fitting Outcome In The United Kingdom
- Expect The Unexpected In Tampa Bay