From OpenwaterpediaEnglish Channel pilot navigating escort boat, Anastasia, a 42 foot Dutch Steel flybridge motorcruiser. She has RYA/MCA Small Commercial Craft & Workboat registration: Class 2 (60 miles from safe haven).
Spelling has been escorting English Channel swimmers for over 10 years and is a registered pilot with the Channel Swimming & Piloting Federation. His boat is very much a family-run boat, with his son-in-law Robert Thompson as a permanent crew member. His son Mike Spelling is hoping to become a pilot, and is currently training in the North Sea.
Eddie Spelling, Robert Thompson, and Mike Spelling manage a small family company called One Charter that utilizes their boat, Anastasia in order to escort swimmers across the English Channel. One Charter also offers a Live Channel Swimming Viewer that enables family, friends, and fans to watch in real-time as an individual channel swimmer or relay team attempts a crossing.
Spelling has piloted the following successful solo swimmers and relays across the English Channel:
- 18 September 2010 11:05:54 Helen Conway
- 22 September 2011 14:13 Relay Swim: "Aspire SRLV"
- 9 August 2003 12:12 Sammy Maletroit
- 15 August 2008 12:01 Elizabeth Fry
- 3 August 2009 13:50:19R - Fredrik Kumlin
- 16 July 2008 12:22 Special Category Swim: "Colman Family"
- 8 August 2003 11:33 Richard Flambard
- 2 July 2011 10:59:13 Relay Swim: "Bobcats Swim Squad"
- 10 September 2005 16:26 Owen Sisk
- 26 July 2003 9:53 Nicholas Sidelnik