Dave Van Mouwerik
Dave Van Mouwerik (b. 1957) is a 55-year-old American open water and marathon swimmer living in San Luis Obispo, California.
He is a member of the Board of Directors of the Santa Barbara Channel Swimming Association. Additionally Dave is an Observer with the Santa Barbara Channel Swimming Association and with the Catalina Channel Swimming Federation.
Dave started swimming when he was twenty three years old, and has been a member of various USMS swim teams for the last thirty years. Early in his swim career, he gravitated towards longer distance events in pool meets, and to open water swims. He has participated in about a dozen 6 mile ocean swims (in Santa Cruz, Avila Beach, and Santa Barbara), as well as several 10 mile swims (in Boston Harbor, Seal Beach, and Santa Barbara).
In 1998 Dave swam solo from Avila Beach Pier to Pismo Beach Pier, a distance of 6.2 miles. This swim inspired him to start the USMS-sanctioned Pismo to Avila Pier to Pier Swim, which he organized and participated in from 1999 to 2002. Then, from 2004 to 2007, Dave took a break from swimming, and paddled six-man outrigger canoes with Pale Kai, a competetive outrigger canoe club in Avila Beach.
Dave caught the marathon swimming bug in 2010, when he was 52 years old. That year he became the 17th person to swim from Anacapa Island to Oxnard. And then in 2011 he became the 19th person to swim the length (south/north) of Lake Tahoe. He swam across Catalina Channel in 12 hours 9 minutes on 6 August 2012.
Dave and his wife, Lisa, live in San Luis Obispo, California, and their two sons live in South Lake Tahoe, CA.
- Narrated Slideshow: Swimming to Oxnard (2010)
- KSBY TV: Local San Luis Obispo Man to swim across Lake Tahoe (2011)
- Newspaper: Account of Tahoe Swim (2011)
- KSBY TV: Lake Tahoe: Mission Accomplished (2011)
- Radio Interview: Catalina Swim (2012)--start at minute 13
- Narrated Slideshow: Catalina Swim (2012)--must download and then play this video file (.wmv format) from your computer--if you try to play directly from link, only first 15 minutes will be available
- The Siljan Diary (2013)