From OpenwaterpediaHonour Swimmer from Argentina who was inducted into the International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame in 1981 for his exploits in the professional marathon swimming world. He was also inducted in the International Swimming Hall of Fame as an Honor Open Water Swimmer in 2014. He is currently the race director of the FINA 10km Marathon Swimming World Cup in Viedma, Argentina and the the Mar de Plata and Maratón Acuática Internacional Ciudad de Rosario, also both in Argentina.
Plit competed in and won every major professional marathon swim around the world over a 30-year period. During his peak between 1974 and 1985, he first or second nine times and finished in the top 3 in 45 professional marathon swims throughout North and South America, Europe and Africa. He has completed more than 250 marathon swims over 8 hours in duration including the Maratón Acuática Internacional Santa Fe - Coronda, a 57 km (35-mile) FINA Open Water Swimming Grand Prix race held in the Coronda River in Argentina in 1974, 1975, 1976 and 1977.
He has done swims from the English Channel and the Beltquerung to races from Canada to Argentina. He swam in 17 Traversée internationale du lac Memphremagog from Vermont to Canada, winning once. He swam 15 Maratona del Golfo Capri-Napoli in Italy, winning 4 times. He swam the 14 Maratón Acuática Internacional Santa Fe-Coronda, winning 4 times. He swam 20 Atlantic City Around-the-Island Marathon Swims, the 88 km Hernandarias–Parana Marathon in Argentina and crossed the English Channel twice. He won races in the Nile River and in the Suez Canal (Port Said). He also competed in 25 Traversée international du lac St-Jean events, winning four total including 3 two-way 64 km Traversée international du lac St-Jean races against his nemesis Philip Rush.
He remains active as a coach and escorts swimmers participating on the FINA Open Water Swimming Grand Prix professional circuit and 25 swimmers who have crossed the English Channel. He has been a guest presenter at FINA open water seminars. He was also declared an Honorary Citizen of Roberval in Quebec, Canada and was the president of the World Professional Marathon Swimming Federation from 1980-1982 and 1990.
He own an indoor pool in Mar del Plata where he offers family therapeutic activities and teaches swimming.
- FINA 10km Marathon Swimming World Cup Viedma
- International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame website
- Open Water Swimming
- The Way It Was On The Pro Circuit
- The Way It Was
- Top Ten Moments In Open Water Swimming History
- Marathon Swimmer For The Ages
- The Beltquerung Between Denmark And Germany
- Fundacion Konex - Claudio Plit
- 30 Open Water Swimmers Known By One Name
- The Value Of Safety And Preparedness In The Open Water
- Marathon Swimming
- World Professional Marathon Swimming Federation
- The Perfect Female Open Water Swimmer
- The Perfect Male Open Water Swimmer
- An Exercise In Open Water Swimming Democracy
- Who Will Top Maratón Acuática Santa Fe - Coronda in 2014?
- When River Lies Low, Swimmers Expect Longer Race
- Judith van Berkel-de Njis Elected To Swimming Hall Of Fame
- Dale Petranech Voted In Internat'l Swimming Hall Of Fame
- Claudio Plit Voted In International Swimming Hall Of Fame
- David Yudovin Voted In International Swimming Hall Of Fame
- International Swimming Hall Of Fame Open Water Greats
- Mercedes Gleitze Honoured By Swimming Hall Of Fame
- George Young Voted In International Swimming Hall Of Fame
- James Kegley's Amazing Aquatic Adventure
- St. Ninian's Bay To Host International Swim Celebration
- Mercedes Gleitze To Be Honored In Scotland