From Openwaterpediaopen water swimmer who won 3 Olympic gold medals in the 800m freestyle as well as won the RCP Tiburon Mile. She was inducted as an Honor Swimmer in the International Swimming Hall of Fame.
In 1996, she was named the Sportswoman of the Year by the United States Olympic Committee. Over the course of her swimming career, she won 14 USA Swimming national titles and graced the cover of Wheaties “Breakfast of Champions” cereal box. Disney also praised Bennett’s success by having her handprints in cement at the Disney/ MGM Studios.
Bennett followed up her swimming career as a sports broadcaster for Bright House Sports Network in Florida and has announced at the RCP Tiburon Mile a number of times. She has also competed in the RCP Tiburon Mile, Flowers Sea Swim, Flowers International 5k and 10k, the 24-mile Tampa Bay Marathon Swim, Trans Tahoe Relay, and the Boston Harbor Swim, a Swim Across America charity event.
1996 Atlanta Olympics
Bennett’s first gold medal came in the 800m freestyle race at the 1996 Atlanta Olympic Gamess.
2000 Sydney Olympics
Bennett's second and third gold medals came in the 400m and 800m freestyle as she set an Olympic record in the 800.
2004 Athens Olympics
Her attempt for a third straight Olympic appearance fell short in 2004, following operations on both of her shoulders in 2001. She finished third in the 800m freestyle at the USA Olympic Trials.
- Brooke Bennett bio
- Brooke Bennett To Make A Splash In Tampa
- Expect The Unexpected In Tampa Bay
- Olympians Finish 1-2-3 In Flowers Sea Swim
- Zsofia Balazs Wins Flowers International 10k
- After Hours With Open Water Swimmers
- Open Water Synchronization
- Open Water Swimming
- Marathon Swimming
- The Wait Is Fun Around Boston Harbor
- It Is A Swell Day For Secret Love In Boston
- In The Dawn's Early Light, Swim Across America In Boston
- Brooke Bennett Making The Rounds In Bermuda