Bishop Rock is a small rock, known for its lighthouse, at the westernmost tip of the Isles of Scilly in Cornwall. Guinness Book of Records lists it as the world's smallest island with a building on it.
The rock has room for nothing more than the uninhabited 49-meter-tall lighthouse. Building of the original iron lighthouse was begun in 1847, but it was washed away before it could be completed. The present building was completed in 1858 and was first lit on 1 September of that year. Bishop Rock is also the eastern end of the North Atlantic shipping route used by ocean liners in the first half of the 20th century; the western end being the entrance to Lower New York Bay.