From OpenwaterpediaAndrew Martens is an aerial photographer based in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa. He specializes in aerial photography, virtual tours and video using remote control helicopters ("Helicam") as an aerial platform. He also does ground-based virtual tours and provides Aerial 360 Photos (of the 2012 aQuellé Midmar Mile).
2012 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year Nomination
Martens developed the RC Helicam that was nominated for the 2012 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year award. Its World Open Water Swimming Association nomination reads, The RC Helicam is truly a remarkable innovation for the global open water swimming community. For outstanding high-definition aerial footage of any open water swim, there is no more convenient, lower cost, technologically advanced means to showcase the sport and its participants from the air. An innovation by Andrew Martens, the remote-controlled helicopter system is portable, light, compact and has been proven at the world's largest swim, the Midmar Mile in South Africa. For bringing the sport closer to the media and general public, for its ability to showcase the sport with beautiful aerial footage that can be streamed online, the RC Helicam is selected as a nominee for the 2012 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year.
Aerial HD Videos
- Aerial Photography of the Midmar Mile
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- 2012 World Open Water Swimming Offerings of the Year Nominations
- RC Helicam, Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year Nominee
- Watching The Midmar Mile From Above
- Forecasting Drones In The Open Water Swimming World
- Darian Townsend Sets Bar At aQuelle Midmar Mile
- This Is Africa - The aQuellé Midmar Mile
- Scenes From Above And Tragedy Below
- Aerial HD photos of the Midmar Mile